Douglas Education Center (DEC), located at 130 Seventh Street, Monessen, Pennsylvania, was established in 1904 as a business and secretarial school. The founder of the then Douglas Business College was Warren Douglas. The business changed owners four times and moved locations three times between 1904 and 1989 when it was purchased by present owner, Jeffrey D. Imbrescia.
Between 1989 and 1999 DEC offered degree programs in specialized business, business administration, and executive secretary. Graduates from these programs were primarily hired by businesses from around the Monongahela Valley.
In 1999 DEC made the bold decision to add art programs into the curricula and launched a degree program in Graphic Design and Web. The Millennium (2000) saw continued expansion with the introduction of Tom Savini's Special Make-Up Effects Program, and Allan and Wilson's Illustration & Airbrush Art Program in 2002 (currently named Allan and Wilsons Digital Illustration Program). The Cosmetology Academy at Douglas Education Center was opened in 2003, and in 2008, Tom Savini's Digital Film Production Program (currently named The Factory Digital Filmmaking Program at Douglas) and Dorian's Fantasy Art Program were added. These new programs have proven to be an unprecedented success moving DEC from acquiring student on a local basis to a national draw.